Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Surviving the Ehowpocalypse

I have been sick and in the hospital so I haven't been online as much. It figures the day I start trying to catch up, ehow shuts down the writer's compensation program. I did kind of call it, didn't I? In the sense that I said the Terms of Service would be changing.

Here's what I think you need to do... and I'm not wasting words because I'm still pretty sick.

1.Get your articles up someplace else that doesn't care if it's duplicate content. I would not do a wholesale delete of ehow content because we might still be able to get some money in the short term. However, I would not expect that to last and, on the forums, the mods had said that, going forward, all terms could change and they specifically mentioned payment. Do not expect to continue to make money from ehow.

Expect at some point that your content will disappear or that you will remove it. So lining up another home is preparing for that moment. It will probably hurt your earnings short term, but should be a good move long term.

2.Rewrite your top earners for sites like Infobarrel, Hubpages, or Suite101 and other sites. (You need an Adsense account stat by the way.) You are going to need twice the amount of content on other sites to approximate eHow earnings, so get ready to work like a dog.

3.Build good back links to your new content.

4.Eventually, kill back links to ehow content.

5.Do the $1 trial at The Keyword Academy and learn everything you can about niche blogging. You need a new business model, this is a good one to explore and the skills will translate to almost anything you do online.

Do you have anything to add to this list?

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm sorry you've been so sick. I hope you are on the mend.

    I think your list is pretty good. I would add to it that you may want to try writing at Demand Studios before you abandon them altogether. The experience will be different to be sure but we are still able to create how-to articles for revenue share there.

    Best of luck to everyone no matter what they decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you haven't been well, focus on health, it's the most important part. Secondly, do you know how to get rid of backlinks from a site?

    ReplyDelete